How do I Survive Financially while Waiting for my Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Disability Benefits case to be Settled?

by Editorial Board on August 9, 2010 · 0 comments

in Questions & Answers,Living with a Disability

Getting a decision regarding your Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Disability benefits can sometimes take a very long time.  This long wait can cause severe hardships for many families since disabled claimants are, by definition, unable to work on a full-time basis.  Typically, returning to work, even in some cases on a part-time basis, is tantamount to admitting you are not disabled.  How are families supposed to survive financially while waiting for benefits to be approved?  One tip is to check with the utility companies servicing your area.  Often, they have programs offering utility assistance for low-income or disabled customers.  You may also benefit from contacting an adult services social worker at your local Department of Social Services Office.  They may know of local or federal programs offering assistance with medical or prescription coverage.  Also, check in with local county hospitals.  Many of them may offer programs for indigent medical care for patients living within their areas.  Additionally, file for any benefits you may be entitled to as soon as possible.

You may be eligible to receive food stamps, public housing, or Medicaid.  If you are represented, contact your attorney or advocate’s office and let them know you are having problems paying for health care, medical prescriptions, and rent or utilities.  His or her office may be aware of programs that offer assistance with those services.  Additionally, your advocate may be able to assist you in requesting that your claim be processed faster due to dire needs.  Try to provide your advocate or his or her office with a copy of any eviction notice to forward to the Social Security Administration with the Dire Need letter.  If you do not have an advocate, write the letter on your own, include a copy of the eviction notice, and mail it to the appropriate Social Security office.  Finally, if you have equity in your home, you may want to look into refinancing your home payment, refinancing your debts or drawing on an equity line of credit.

See if you qualify for Social Security Disability
Click here for a free consultation with a disability lawyer.

Previous post:

Next post:

Leave a Comment